Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Map Art

Sorry I've been gone for awhile. Although I've been trolling the internet relentlessly it's kind of been The Fall/Winter of My Discontent. Yes I shamelessly ripped that off from my fave author John Steinbeck but it's also an allusion to the past and future Best Summer Ever, which will be reappearing in style in 2009. Even though it seems like I spend ALL DAY online, there hasn't been a whole lot that has piqued my interest anywhere on the internets, interweb, intertron, or real life. Well, this video definitely brought a smile to my face.



Momentarily pulling me out of the doldrums, when I was dawdling on NotCot the other day I saw a really neat collection by the artist Shannon Rankin (aka selflesh on Flckr). Turns out she uses old maps to create some super sweet art. Like art I wish I could create if I could create art. She has all kinds of stuff from flat pieces with map cut-outs (as seen below) to textured images (see her Topography gallery).